Thursday, October 11, 2007

Concerning In Rainbows, by Radiohead

After one listen (with another to come shortly), my impulse is to say that it's their best album since Kid A and that it's on par with that album and OK Computer as one of their very best. I honestly did not anticipate saying that at all; after Hail to the Thief, I had concluded that it was unreasonable to expect more than two era-defining albums from a band and that I would just have to do with awesomeness from Radiohead instead of life-changing astonishment.

This album feels much more immediate and warm than anything they've ever done, including Pablo Honey and The Bends. These are all first impressions, but it seems like they've mellowed in terms of both content (less paralyzing angst) and the neurotic drive to reinvent pop music as we know it. They seem to have remembered that they're among the finest songwriters and musicians of all time and that these strengths should be played to, not obscured to the greatest extent possible. It's a crazy concept, but it works.

2 comments:

Brian Vargo said...

After all these years, the album holds up very well, especially when the eight-song "bonus" disc that was included with the deluxe edition is taken into account. For me, In Rainbows runs neck and neck with Kid A in my esteem, with OK Computer starting to trail a bit.

How fortuitous that, while doing a little simple fucking around, I happened upon a blog post by my dear old friend, Paul McLeod - and about one of my favorite albums, no less.

Brian Vargo said...

I should have proofread my comment before publishing it. When I added "in my esteem" to the second sentence, I should have given the opening "For me" the ax.

My editorial eye is still intact, as is my lazy refusal to proofread my own work.